Friday, September 08, 2006

It Was 40 Years Ago Today

September 8, 1966. A new TV series premiered on the NBC network. It was called STAR TREK, and it was the first serious science fiction television drama with continuing characters. It's also the most important, as well as one of the most influential series in the history of television.

I wasn't around in 1966, but I became a fan in 7th grade when a new friend of mine, David Edwards, introduced me to it through his collection of books, Fotonovels, ViewMasters, etc. STAR TREK wasn't running in this TV market at the time, although I recall seeing reruns of it, as well as SPACE: 1999, on the local PBS affiliate. I wasn't able to watch STAR TREK regularly until I was around 13 or 14, when the CBS station aired in on Sunday nights after the local news. It took me approximately 79 weeks to see the entire series, but I was already hooked by then.

I won't get too serious here. I'm a fan, such a fan, in fact, that I consider there to be only one True STAR TREK. All the poseurs that followed with the words "star" and "trek" in their titles are mere imitations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most likely I have my sister to thank for my own exposure to STAR TREK. Many a time I'd walk into the living room and she would be watching the show. I've got vague memories of watching it on TV in the night time - this would be pre-1972 - but it was a Sunday afternoon staple for many years on a Vancouver Island station, and that's where we regularly tuned in.

Easily THE single most important and influential science fiction television series of all time.

Robert Plante said...

I still prefer it just because of the mid-century design. Never got into the sequel series.