Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Why I Love Prison Break

Seriously, this is fantastic stuff. I have no idea whether the creators are fans of Republic serials, but PRISON BREAK plays just like one. You think LOST is a little bit far-out? My suspension of disbelief is stretched farther than Mr. Fantastic's left arm watching this season of PRISON BREAK.

Forgetting the crazy-quilt plot and boneheaded continuity errors (done intentionally, I'm sure, to move the plot from point W to point X, which is as convoluted as it has become), this week's episode had a dune buggy chase, Scofield (Wentworth Miller) running and jumping and fighting a day or two after major surgery to remove a brain tumor, T-Bag (Robert Knepper) finding sympathy for a dying mother, another great Linc Smash! moment, our unlikely comrades (which include a female assassin in black leather, a former Death Row convict, a corrupt Homeland Security agent, a junkie ex-FBI agent, and a mass-murdering child molester) dressed like a GQ cover, another character resurrected from the dead, a kidnapping to cover a simple conversation that could have been handled over the phone, a stunt-driving drug-addicted physician, the threat of mountain lions, a MacGyvered bomb, and terrible acting.

PRISON BREAK probably has the worst acting of any dramatic series on network TV right now. I give the wonderful William Fichtner a lot of credit for not pretending he's slumming. I can only assume he's having a good time. Maybe even as good a time as I have laughing hysterically at the show. I wouldn't be surprised at this point to see Tal Chatali pop up in the final chapter, er, episode to reveal the Scorpion's identity.

2 comments:

katie said...

i've been laughing at this whole season myself. glad i'm not alone. and the acting alone is hilarious. the plot just cracks me up.

Anonymous said...

Everybody had his own reason to Watch Prison Break episodes and the reason for me to watch this show is Scofield. I like him.